In this post, I want to outline the steps and various other requirements needed to ensure a blog or your website is complete.
We have seen various websites to date and you always think and ask yourself! I wish I had this feature on my website, how did he got that? What plugin has been used? I am also one of you to think alike.
So without further ado, let’s jump on to the requirements:
Step 1: Install WordPress using Fantastico, Quickinstall or Simple Scripts
Step 2: Save your password
Step 3: Login to your WordPress Dashboard using the link —> http://www.domain.com/wp-admin
Step 4: Go to Users > Your Profile
Step 5: Write you first name and last name
Step 6: Choose your appropriate name from the dropdown menu from “Display name publicly as”
Step 7: Write your website URL in the website field
Step 8: Write down your biography within the “Biographical Info” field
My real example – Keyur is the poster boy of this post. Founder of Laplacef and a passionate internet marketer who shares his wealth of knowledge through this platform. Follow Keyur on Google+, be friend and follow him on Facebook and Twitter too.
Step 9: If you wish to change the password in the future for your WordPress Dashboard, it is below the “Biographical Info” field. Just to take a note of.
Step 10: Go to Pages > All Pages and delete or trash the ‘Sample Page’
Step 11: Go to Posts > All Posts and delete or trash ‘Hello World!’ post
Step 12: Go to Settings > General
Step 12-a: Write your Site Title and Tagline which acts as a Meta Title and Meta Description for your blog respectively, so use it wisely because it has an SEO advantage.
Step 12-b: WordPress URL – never change it. Site address (URL) – you can change and keep it with www or without www, choice is yours. Most people prefer to keep it with www including me.
Step 12-c: Membership – Keep it ticked because you would want people to subscribe to your blog for future reading and regular visitors.
Step 12-d: New user default role – Choose Subscribers
Step 12-e: Choose your Timezone, Date Format and Time Format.
Step 12-f: Click on Save Changes button.
Step 13: Click on Settings > Writing
Step 13-a: Under Formatting section – Tick “WordPress should correct invalidly nested XHTML automatically”
Step 13-b: Go to Update Services – Remove any link within the box…possibly you may see pingomatic link by default. This is to ping any post or page that you publish on your WordPress blog. You may think this feature is good and why I am asking you to remove it. It is because, your blog pings even though you have scheduled your post. Your blog will ping a non-published post and when Google bots arrive by following the link, they do not find anything instead a 404 error page which is not healthy for your site and hence remove it. I have a turn-around for it and you can read it here and here.
Step 14: Go to Settings > Discussion and set the parameters you like for comments on your blog. If you have any queries or questions, do get in touch with me in comments or you can contact me.
Step 15: Go to Settings > Permalinks
Step 15-a: Choose Post name as your permalinks option. In case if your .htaccess is now writable on your cPanel, WordPress will provide you with the code that you would want to paste it in the .htaccess file. If you are a newbie and have no idea how to do it, get in touch with me and I will be more than happy to help you for free.
Step 16: Install an appropriate theme by clicking on Appearance > Themes > Add New…There are thousands of themes available with respect to your niche and requirements. You can search in Google for the same and install it. If you have trouble installing a particular theme. do get in touch.
Step 17: There are some basic plugins that are supposed to be installed for various reasons as outlined below: However please note that you should only install the plugins which are compatible with your WordPress current version or else plugins may not work as required and could also cause your website to break.
Plugins within the WordPress database can be found here.
- Google Analytics – Highly essential for you to know the statistics of your website. I use ‘Google Analytics Dashboard for WP‘
- Contact Plugin – WordPress do not have any in-built template for contact us page and hence you have to install plugins for it. Most lovable plugin for this is Contact Form 7
- You have to ensure that your posts and pages looks good with varied use of fonts and text sizes. To accomplish that I use a plugin called ‘Ultimate TinyMCE‘
- To ping your published posts to various platforms including Google, Yahoo and Bing – I use ‘MaxBlogPress Ping Optimizer‘
- To eradicate spam comments – Use Akismet
- Sharing your posts automatically as soon as you publish – Use ‘Social Networks Auto Poster‘
- Speed of your website is an important factor in ranking your site and hence you should also install plugins like ‘WP Super Cache‘ or ‘WP Total Cache‘ Install and use it wisely because one wrong configuration with this plugin could mess your website.
- To get your website SEO optimized – Use WordPress SEO by Yoast
- You have to show and submit your sitemap.xml to various search engines and it has to be in real time – this can be accomplished by using —> Google XML Sitemaps plugin.
- You need more and more subscribers to read your blog and comment – You need Subscribe2 plugin.
- Broken links checker – Suggested by Mary Ann – Click here to get the plugin.
Several other plugins can be used depending upon your requirements. If you have a specific requirements and you are unable to find a plugin for that, let me know in the comments.
I welcome any more steps to complete a wordpress blog and suggestions from you. Kindly put your views in the comments below.